Georgia State defeats Georgia Southern 85-65Dec 23, 2009 - 2:16 AM ATLANTA(AP) -- Trae Goldston scored 28 points and Georgia State defeated Georgia Southern 85-65 on Tuesday night.
The Panthers (7-6) shot 62.1 percent from the field (36 of 58), including an 11 of 16 performance by Goldston and an 8-for-8 effort by Trey Hampton, who finished with 16 points.
Georgia State used a 16-7 run in the first half to take a 31-19 lead on Goldston's jump shot with 6:11 left in the first half.
The Panthers shot 61.3 percent from the field (19 of 31) in the first half and led 42-36 at halftime in their first meeting with the Eagles (3-10) since 1996-97.
Joe Dukes scored 15 points and Ousman Krubally added 11 for Georgia State. Marques Johnson dished out seven assists for the Panthers.
Antonio Hanson scored 20 points for the Eagles, who lost their sixth straight.
Willie Powers added 11 points and Sandy Perry chipped in 10 for Georgia Southern.
- Georgia State's R.J. Hunter to enter NBA Draft Mar 30
- Xavier downs Georgia State, reaches Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Panthers seek another upset in clash with Musketeers Mar 21
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- Georgia State coach injured in celebration Mar 15
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Georgia State's Thomas declared ineligible Dec 8
- Morris, No. 14 Iowa State rout Georgia State Nov 17
- Cyclones host Panthers in CBE Hall of Fame Classic Nov 17
- Ware cleared to play at Georgia State Jun 19