Chattanooga defeats Long Island 76-59Dec 30, 2009 - 4:26 AM CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.(AP) -- Ricky Taylor scored 21 points and Chattanooga defeated Long Island 76-59 on Tuesday night.
Jeremy Saffore added 12 points and Ty Patterson, the Mocs' leading scorer at 16.5 points per game, had nine assists in the Dr Pepper Classic contest.
Chattanooga (7-6) had 25 assists compared to nine turnovers and scored 21 points off of 17 Long Island turnovers.
The Mocs shot 51.9 percent from the field (14 of 27), compared to 32.3 percent shooting (10 of 31) by the Blackbirds in the second half.
Long Island (4-7) pulled within 60-54 with 11:50 remaining, but committed three turnovers and Chattanooga scored six straight points. DeAntre Jefferson put the Mocs up 67-54 with 9:14 remaining.
Kyle Johnson had 10 points and 11 rebounds for the Blackbirds, who lost their 12th straight non-conference road game.
Michael Culpo chipped in 16 points for Long Island.
- Chattanooga selects McCall as new men's hoops coach Apr 12
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7
- No. 3 Wisconsin trounces Chattanooga Nov 16
- No. 3 Wisconsin entertains Chattanooga Nov 16
- Chattanooga extends Foster through 2018-19 Jun 5
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13
- Chattanooga tabs Foster as next women's basketball coach May 9
- Chattanooga fires Shulman Mar 21
- James Madison advances in win over Long Island Mar 21
- Blackbirds, Dukes clash in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 20