Cornell edges past South Dakota 71-65Jan 9, 2010 - 3:50 AM VERMILLION, S.D.(AP) -- Louis Dale scored 19 points and Ryan Wittman added 18 as Cornell topped South Dakota 71-65 Friday night.
Jeff Foote grabbed 12 rebounds for the Big Red (13-3). They trailed by as much as 11 points after giving a scare to No. 1 Kansas on Wednesday before the Jayhawks pulled out a narrow win.
Jake Thomas led South Dakota with 17 points. Roman Gentry and Tyler Cain added 12 points each for the Coyotes (6-8), who dominated the first half. Cain also had nine rebounds.
South Dakota tied it at five on Cain's layup with 17:12 to play before halftime, and the Coyotes went ahead on a 3-pointer by Steve Smith. They held the advantage until Dale sunk a layup with 1:43 left in the half.
The Big Red led 36-31 at halftime and never trailed in the second half.
Cornell had a 41-35 rebounding advantage.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 65 FINAL
Jan 8 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH DAKOTA 31 HALFTIME
Jan 8 9:14 PM
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Louisville wins again, chews up Cornell Nov 16
- No. 3 Louisville sets sights on Cornell Nov 15
- Syracuse starts year off right by rallying past Cornell Nov 8
- Eighth-ranked Orange open with Big Red Nov 8
- South Dakota names James interim coach Sep 7
- South Dakota's Tecker to miss senior season Apr 16
- Harvard wins Ivy League Mar 9
- No. 25 KSU turns it on late, beats South Dakota Dec 31