Oakland beats Centenary 88-50 to stay atop SummitJan 10, 2010 - 4:16 AM SHREVEPORT, La.(AP) -- Larry Wright scored 15 points and Keith Benson added 14 as Oakland (Mich.) dominated Centenary 88-50 Saturday night to stay undefeated in Summit League play.
The Golden Grizzlies (11-7, 5-0), won their fifth straight game and matched their best start in league play. The 2006-07 team was also 5-0.
Oakland outscored Centenary 64-26 in the paint and held a 51-21 advantage on the glass. With seven rebounds, Derick Nelson moved into 11th place all-time in Summit League history with 752 career boards. Johnathan Jones had eight assists.
Centenary (6-10, 2-4), which averaged 75.2 points and a league-best eight 3-pointers per contest, was held to season lows in both. The Gents were 3-for-20 from long range.
Oakland outscored the Gents 26-2 in a 10-minute stretch in the first half and led by as many as 44 points in the second.
David Perez led Centenary with 13 points.
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14
- Oakland's Bader sets NCAA 3-point mark Feb 2
- Michigan State holds off Oakland Dec 15