Pitts' 17 leads Marshall past East Carolina 83-65Jan 10, 2010 - 3:08 AM GREENVILLE, N.C.(AP) -- Damier Pitts scored 17 points to lead Marshall to an 83-65 win over East Carolina on Saturday night.
The Thundering Herd (13-2, 2-0 Conference USA), who won their fourth game in a row, took a 34-21 lead with 3:28 left in the first half on Darryl Merthie's two free throws.
Chris Lutz finished with 13 points for Marshall, while Tyler Wilkerson and Hassan Whiteside each had 10 points. Whiteside also had five blocked shots.
The Pirates (6-10, 0-2) cut Marshall's lead to 40-34 with 18:23 left in the second half on a free throw by Jamar Abrams. But East Carolina would get no closer as the Thundering Herd answered with five straight points, pushing their margin to 10.
Brock Young led the Pirates with a game-high 27 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Darrius Morrow had 15 points and seven rebounds.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- No. 20 SMU beats ECU in American QFs Mar 13
- Pirates seek upset of Mustangs in AAC Tournament action Mar 13
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7