UTSA holds off Nicholls State for 64-59 victoryJan 14, 2010 - 3:47 AM SAN ANTONIO(AP) -- Morris Smith IV, Omar Johnson and Devin Gibson each scored 14 points as UTSA held off a late charge by Nicholls State for a 64-59 victory Wednesday night.
Terry Fields added 13 points for the Roadrunners (12-3, 2-0 Southland), who nearly lost a nine-point lead in the final 90 seconds.
Anatoly Bose scored 24 points and Fred Hunter had 20 for the Colonels (5-10, 1-1).
UTSA went up 62-53 on two free throws by Johnson with 1:27 remaining, but Nicholls State quickly cut the margin to 62-59 on 3-pointers by Chris Iles and Bose with 48 second to play.
Smith then hit two free throws with 13 seconds remaining to put the Roadrunner back up by five.
The Colonels were up 30-29 at intermission, but the Roadrunners opened the second half with a 9-4 run and led the rest of the way.
- NCAA BB
NICHOLLS ST 59
UTSA 64 FINAL
Jan 13 9:48 PM
- NCAA BB
NICHOLLS ST 30
UTSA 29 HALFTIME
Jan 13 8:46 PM
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- Wisconsin crushes Nicholls Dec 13
- Colonels face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Badgers Dec 13
- No. 19 Michigan eases past Nicholls Nov 30
- Wolverines seek redemption in clash with visiting Colonels Nov 29
- Memphis dominates Nicholls State Nov 23
- Colonels face uphill climb in clash with 11th-ranked Tigers Nov 23
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Appling, Michigan State rout Nicholls State Dec 1