Rhode Island defeats Fordham 85-67Jan 16, 2010 - 10:03 PM NEW YORK(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 26 points and Rhode Island beat Fordham 85-67 on Saturday.
Lamonte Ulmer added 24 points and 14 rebounds for the Rams (14-2, 2-1 Atlantic 10 Conference), who beat Fordham for the fifth straight time.
The game went back and forth in the first half. After the game's eighth tie at 44-44 early in the second half, Rhode Island went on a 32-4 run to lead 76-48 after a Cothran dunk with 8:28 remaining in the game. Fordham shot only 38.7 percent (13-for-38) from the field in the second half, while Rhode Island shot 50 percent (18-for-36).
Rhode Island converted 20 Fordham turnovers into 18 points and outscored Fordham 16-4 on fast break points.
Fordham (2-14, 0-4), which lost its ninth game in a row, was led by Chris Gaston with a game-high 29 points and 16 rebounds. Brenton Butler added 19 points for Fordham. Fahro Alihodzik contributed with 10 rebounds.
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23