Wells paces The Citadel's 51-50 win over SamfordJan 16, 2010 - 11:26 PM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Cameron Wells scored 19 points, including 11 of the final 14 for The Citadel, which edged Samford 51-50 on Saturday.
The Citadel (9-9, 3-3 Southern Conference) led by as many as 14 points in the first half, but Samford (7-10, 1-4) came back to take its only lead, 37-35, with 10:49 to play.
Harrison DuPont hit a tying jumper for The Citadel, which led 46-40 with 2:32 left after three baskets by Wells and a three-point play by Austin Dahn, who scored 17 points.
Samford pulled within 49-48 after Andy King's 3-pointer with 12 seconds left and a free throw with 0:06 left by Bryan Friday, who had 16 points.
A quick foul sent Wells to the line for The Citadel and he made both for a 51-48 Citadel lead with 5 seconds to play. Trey Montgomery added Samford's final points on free throws with 1 second left.
Wells also had seven rebounds and five assists for The Citadel.
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 51
SAMFORD 50 FINAL
Jan 16 4:51 PM
- NCAA BB
THE CITADEL 27
SAMFORD 19 HALFTIME
Jan 16 3:47 PM
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6