Jackson State edges Prairie View A&M 53-52Jan 17, 2010 - 4:42 AM JACKSON, Miss.(AP) -- Garrison Johnson scored 11 points and Jackson State held Prairie View A&M without a field goal in the final 3 minutes to win 53-52 Saturday night in a battle of unbeaten Southwestern Athletic Conference teams.
Rod Melvin added 10 for the Tigers (6-10, 4-0), who take sole possession of first place in the league. Jackson State won its sixth straight after opening the season 0-10.
The Tigers, who led 30-25 at halftime, built a 48-37 lead with 7:53 left. The Panthers (8-7, 3-1) then used a 13-3 run, capped by a Tim Meadows 3-pointer and a layup by Christopher Jones to cut the deficit to 51-50 with 3:08 left. After a Johnson layup made it 53-50, Darnell Hugee made the second of two free throw attempts with 2:19 to go. One of two free throws by Jones with 55 seconds left completed the scoring.
Michael Griffin led Prairie View with 14 points and Dorian McDaniel added 13.
- NCAA BB
PRAIRIE VIEW 52
JACKSON ST 53 FINAL
Jan 16 11:09 PM
- NCAA BB
PRAIRIE VIEW 25
JACKSON ST 30 HALFTIME
Jan 16 9:58 PM
- Prairie View coach Rimm resigns with Panthers 1-18 Jan 27
- Texas Southern ends Prairie View's Cinderella run, wins SWAC Mar 15
- SWAC title up for grabs in clash between Panthers and Tigers Mar 15
- Wisconsin takes care of Prairie View A&M Dec 28
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Panthers face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Badgers Dec 28
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- Southern outlasts Prairie View A&M in SWAC title game Mar 16
- SWAC title on line in bout between Panthers and Jaguars Mar 16
- Baylor eases past Jackson State Nov 11
- Jackson State battles No. 19 Baylor Nov 11