Harris lifts Charlotte past Saint Louis 63-61Jan 17, 2010 - 11:46 PM By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- DiJuan Harris hit a tiebreaking jumper with 3 seconds left in overtime and Charlotte didn't need to hit a 3-pointer to outlast Saint Louis 63-61 on Sunday and hand the Billikens their first Atlantic 10 loss.
In a frantic finish, Kyle Cassity hit a tying 3-pointer for Saint Louis with 16.7 seconds left.
But Harris pushed the ball up the floor, used a crossover dribble to create some space, and knocked down a shot just left of the foul line. Kwamain Mitchell's desperation halfcourt heave was off the mark at the buzzer.
Shamari Spears had 16 points and 13 rebounds for the 49ers (12-5, 2-1), who finished 0-for-7 from 3-point range. That ended the nation's ninth longest streak of hitting at least one 3 at 630 games, dating to the 1988-89 season.
Jon Smith scored a career-high 15 points for the Billikens (11-6, 2-1), who won in double overtime at Duquesne on Wednesday.
- NCAA BB
SAINT LOUIS 61
CHARLOTTE 63 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 17 6:24 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT LOUIS 52
CHARLOTTE 52 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jan 17 6:08 PM
- NCAA BB
SAINT LOUIS 25
CHARLOTTE 26 HALFTIME
Jan 17 4:51 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26