MVSU beats Southern 57-45Jan 19, 2010 - 3:12 AM ITTA BENA, Miss.(AP) -- Shannon Behling recorded a double-double, scoring 14 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, to lead Mississippi Valley State over Southern University 57-45 on Monday night.
Kevin Burwell added 13 points for the Delta Devils (4-14, 3-2 Southwestern Athletic Conference), who have won back to back games for the first time this season.
Both teams combined to shoot lower than 35 percent from the floor, 15 percent from 3-point range and 70 percent from the free throw line.
Julius Cheeks hit a pair of jumpers in the game's first minute, sparking a 19-2 run to open the game by MVSU. The Delta Devils led the entire way, and held the Jaguars to just 15 points in the first half.
Blake Sanford was the lone player in double figures for the Jaguars (3-15, 1-5), scoring 10 points. Southern has dropped three in a row.
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- No. 9 Iowa State crushes Mississippi Valley Dec 31
- Cyclones go in search of two milestone wins Dec 31
- No. 22 Baylor survives scare against Southern Dec 22
- Iowa State takes care of Southern Dec 15
- Cyclones hope to blow past visiting Jaguars Dec 14
- Payne named Mississippi Valley men's basketball coach Jul 11
- Baylor routs Southern Dec 22