Jackson State defeats Grambling State 75-59Jan 24, 2010 - 2:10 AM JACKSON, Miss.(AP) -- Garrison Johnson scored 25 points and Jackson State defeated Grambling State 75-59 on Saturday.
Johnson hit a 3-pointer with 16:27 left in the first half to give Jackson State (7-11, 5-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference) a 15-1 lead, and it never looked back.
Jackson State shot 54.5 percent form behind the arc (6 of 11) in the first half and built a 39-26 lead at halftime.
Tyrone Hanson had 18 points, and De'Saun Dixon scored 15 and grabbed 12 rebounds for Jackson State, which outrebounded Grambling State 50-32.
Grambling State (4-9, 2-3) pulled within 49-40 on Ariece Perkins' jumper with 9:41 remaining, but wouldn't get any closer. Jackson State answered with five straight points and led 54-40 on two free throws by Rod Melvin with 8:34 left.
David Qualls scored 25 points and Perkins added 20 for Grambling State, which lost its third straight.
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71 Nov 13
- No. 17 Marquette entertains Grambling State Nov 12
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- Baylor eases past Jackson State Nov 11
- Jackson State battles No. 19 Baylor Nov 11
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 22 Memphis drops Jackson State Nov 29