Oakland, Mich., staves off Western Illinois 68-64Jan 31, 2010 - 3:21 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- Larry Wright knocked in a 3-pointer with 26 seconds left to rescue Oakland, Mich., in a 68-64 victory over Western Illinois on Saturday night.
Wright had 19 points and was 5-for-5 on 3-pointers to lead the Golden Grizzlies (16-8, 10-1 Summit League), who gave away a 12-point lead.
After Western Illinois' David Nurse hit two free throws to tie it 60-60, Drew Maynard nailed a 3-pointer for a 63-60 edge. James Granstra came right back with a dunk for the Leathernecks, and when Derick Nelson's two free throws made it 65-62, Granstra answered with two of his own to cut it to one.
But Wright's 3-pointer was the dagger.
Keith Benson added 17 and Nelson 14 for Oakland, which is 17-1 in its last 18 league games.
Western Illinois (8-13, 2-9) got 18 points from Ceola Clark, 15 from Granstra and 11 from Emeka Okafor Jr.
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14
- Oakland's Bader sets NCAA 3-point mark Feb 2
- Michigan State holds off Oakland Dec 15