Jacksonville State defeats Eastern Illinois 70-55Jan 31, 2010 - 1:21 AM JACKSONVILLE, Ala.(AP) -- Trenton Marshall scored 25 points, 16 in the second half, as Jacksonville State pulled away to a 70-55 victory over Eastern Illinois on Saturday.
A 3-pointer by Marshall, the Ohio Valley Conference's leading scorer, started a 15-2 run to help the Gamecocks (10-11, 6-5) build their margin after the Panthers (11-11, 5-7) had gotten within 55-51 with 6:44 left.
Jeremy Bynum had six of his 11 points for Jacksonville State during the run.
The Gamecocks led 14-2 after just 5:07 of play, but the Panthers closed the gap before Bynum's 3-pointer with 44 seconds left in the first half gave Jacksonville State a 32-29 halftime lead.
Marshall shot 6-for-11 on 3-pointers for Jacksonville State, which also got 14 points from Nick Murphy and six assists from Dominique Shellman.
Tyler Laser scored 20 points to lead Eastern Illinois and Curry McKinney had 13.
- NCAA BB
EASTRN ILLINOIS 55
JACKSONVILLE ST 70 FINAL
Jan 30 7:31 PM
- NCAA BB
EASTRN ILLINOIS 29
JACKSONVILLE ST 32 HALFTIME
Jan 30 6:21 PM
- Jacksonville State's James Green out as basketball coach Mar 16
- Groselle, Creighton down Eastern Illinois Nov 26
- Panthers visit Bluejays in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 25
- Louisville crushes Jacksonville St. in home opener Nov 17
- Louisville hosts Jacksonville State in Gobal Sports Showcase Nov 17
- No. 18 UNLV downs Jacksonville State Nov 18
- Rebels play host to Gamecocks in Global Sports Classic Nov 17
- Eastern Illinois names Jay Spoonhour head coach Apr 6
- Eastern Illinois not renewing HC Mike Miller's contract Feb 27
- Murray State stays perfect with win over Eastern Illinois Jan 29
- Panthers come to Murray seeking upset of 11th-ranked Racers Jan 28
- Murray State keeps rolling with easy win over Jacksonville State Jan 13