Iona defeats Canisius 72-53Feb 2, 2010 - 3:43 AM NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y.(AP) -- Alejo Rodriguez scored 15 points to lead Iona past Canisius 72-53 on Monday night.
Rodriguez also grabbed 10 rebounds for the Gaels (17-6, 9-3 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who have won eight games in a row. Mike McFadden chipped in 12 points for Iona.
Frank Turner, Julius Coles and Elton Frazier each scored 11 points to pace the Golden Griffins (11-12, 6-6).
The Gaels were outrebounded 36-29, but had 12 steals, which helped lead to 21 Canisius turnovers.
Iona shot 47.4 percent from the field (27-for-57) and 50 percent from 3-point range (11-for-22).
Canisius shot 38.8 percent (19-for-49) and 33.3 percent from beyond the arc (5-for-15).
Iona scored 25 points off the bench, while the Golden Griffins' bench tallied just seven points.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10