Jackson State defeats Arkansas-Pine Bluff 72-67Feb 2, 2010 - 5:40 AM PINE BLUFF, Ark.(AP) -- Garrison Johnson and Phillip Williams each scored 17 points and Jackson State survived a late charge to defeat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 72-67 Monday night.
De'Suan Dixon added 13 points for the Tigers (10-11, 8-1 Southwestern Athletic), who nearly blew an 11-point lead in the final minute but held on to maintain their grip on first place in the conference.
Gavin Montgomery led the Golden Lions (6-14, 6-3) with 16 points, and Terrance Calvin had 15.
Up 67-56 with 1:08 to play after two free throws by Johnson, Jackson State saw its lead shrink to 70-67 with 5 seconds remaining following a layup by Calvin. Johnson then iced the win with two more free throws.
The Tigers never trailed in winning their fourth straight. They led by as many as 19 and were up 47-28 with 12:23 to play.
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 72
ARK PINE BLUFF 67 FINAL
Feb 1 11:14 PM
- NCAA BB
JACKSON ST 42
ARK PINE BLUFF 25 HALFTIME
Feb 1 9:47 PM
- No. 19 Michigan State cruises past Arkansas-Pine Bluff Dec 6
- Spartans seeks turnaround against Golden Lions Dec 6
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Iowa cruises past Arkansas-Pine Bluff Dec 22
- Golden Lions come calling on 25th-ranked Hawkeyes Dec 22
- No. 8 Oklahoma State crushes UAPB Nov 15
- Golden Lions pay visit to eighth-ranked Cowboys Nov 15
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- No. 19 Michigan State rolls over Arkansas-Pine Bluff Dec 6
- Spartans hope to make quick work of Golden Lions Dec 5
- San Diego State dominates Arkansas-Pine Bluff Nov 22