Roberts leads Akron past Northern Illinois 90-76Feb 4, 2010 - 3:04 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Darryl Roberts had 18 points and eight rebounds and Akron had its highest-scoring game of the season to defeat Northern Illinois 90-76 on Wednesday night.
Chris McKnight added 16 points and five assists and Anthony Hitchens had 15 points for the Zips (16-7, 6-3 Mid-American Conference), who have won three of their last four games.
The Huskies (8-13, 4-5), who have lost five straight, stayed close the first 15 minutes, trailing 26-21 with 5:09 to go before halftime. Akron then used an 18-6 run to break the game open.
The Zips' greatest lead was 86-59 with 5:02 left, then Northern Illinois closed out the game with a 17-4 run.
Each team made 18 free throws, but the Zips were 8-for-18 from long range while the Huskies were 4-for-16 from beyond the arc.
Xavier Silas led Northern Illinois with 15 points. Darion Anderson, Tony Nixon and Sean Kowal had 12 each.
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 76
AKRON 90 FINAL
Feb 3 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHN ILLINOIS 29
AKRON 46 HALFTIME
Feb 3 7:57 PM
- Panthers battle Redbirds in MVC melee Jan 25
- Notre Dame rolls through NIU Dec 22
- Irish play host to Huskies Dec 22
- Northern Illinois extends Montgomery through 2018 Apr 18
- Iowa State blows through Northern Illinois Jan 1
- Cyclones put perfect mark on line against visiting Huskies Dec 31
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- No. 22 UMass crushes Northern Illinois Dec 14
- Minutemen get back to work as they host Huskies Dec 14
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20