Charlotte defeats George Washington 72-68Feb 4, 2010 - 3:12 AM CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Shamari Spears scored a career-high 31 points and Charlotte scored nine straight in the last 1:25 to defeat George Washington 72-68 on Wednesday night.
The 49ers (17-5, 7-1 Atlantic 10 Conference) trailed 68-63 with 1:25 to play, but went 6-for-6 from the free throw line, hit a free throw and forced two turnovers to win their sixth straight.
George Washington (12-9, 2-6) jumped out to a 9-0 lead on Damian Hollis' jump shot with 18:36 left in the first half. Charlotte took its first lead at 27-26 on Charles Dewhurst's layup with 6:32 to go until halftime, and the difference wouldn't grow any larger than five points the rest of the way.
DiJuan Harris added 11 points and Phil Jones chipped in 10 for the 49ers, who shot 52.4 percent in the second half (11 of 21).
Hollis finished with 23 points for the Colonials and Lasan Kromah added 11.
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 68
CHARLOTTE 72 FINAL
Feb 3 9:32 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 35
CHARLOTTE 32 HALFTIME
Feb 3 8:24 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25