Virginia Military beats Presbyterian 97-78Feb 5, 2010 - 2:13 AM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Austin Kenon and Stan Okoye scored 23 points apiece, leading five Virginia Military Institute players in double-figure scoring as the Keydets beat Presbyterian 97-78 on Thursday night.
Ron Burks and Michael Sparks added 14 points apiece, while Keith Gabriel finished with 13 for the Keydets (8-14, 3-9 Big South Conference), who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Kenon nailed five 3-pointers for VMI while Burks, Okoye and Sparks each hit three 3s for the Keydets.
Both VMI (40.9 percent) and Presbyterian (40 percent) had similar marks from beyond the arc, but the Keydets were 18-for-44 compared to a 6-for-15 night for the Blue Hose.
The Blue Hose went on a 22-8 run to open the game, but the 3-ball started falling for VMI after that. The Keydets hit 11 3s in under 13 minutes to take a 57-39 halftime lead.
Chase Holmes scored 21 points for Presbyterian (4-20, 2-10).
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Murray free throws allow Presbyterian to top Piedmont, 69-65 Dec 19
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Okafor makes NCAA debut, Duke routs Presbyterian Nov 15
- Blue Devils take on Blue Hose is season debut Nov 14
- McDermott, No. 15 Creighton pummel Presbyterian Nov 18
- Blue Hose face uphill climb in clash with 15h-ranked Bluejays Nov 18
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3