Oakland, Mich., tops Centenary 75-64 behind NelsonFeb 5, 2010 - 2:21 AM ROCHESTER, Mich.(AP) -- Derick Nelson hit five 3-pointers as part of a 28-point effort to lead Oakland, Mich., to a 75-64 victory over Centenary on Thursday night.
Nelson also had 10 rebounds for the Golden Grizzlies (17-8, 11-1 Summit League), who won their 16th straight league home game. Keith Benson added 16 points and Larry Wright 10, and Johnathon Jones had 13 assists.
Matt Marseille scored 20 points, including 9 of 9 free throws, but the Gents (8-15, 2-10) lost their fourth in a row. Daman Starring scored 15 points, and Jerrald Bonham had 14 points and 10 rebounds.
Oakland missed 16 of first 19 shots and trailed 20-8 midway through the first half.
The Grizzlies finally took the lead 30-29 on Will Hudson's free throws with 1:27 left in the first half, and the lead maxed out at 50-32.
Oakland, 16-0 when leading at halftime, routed Centenary 88-50 on Jan. 9.
- NCAA BB
OAKLAND 75 FINAL
Feb 4 9:06 PM
- NCAA BB
OAKLAND 33 HALFTIME
Feb 4 7:54 PM
- Oakland University agrees to 3-year, $864K deal with Kampe Apr 11
- Oakland U's Kay Felder hires agent, will stay in draft Apr 8
- Oakland's Felder declares for draft, has not hired agent Apr 5
- Oakland beats Robert Morris 92-74 behind Hooper Dec 5
- Wells helps No. 15 Maryland beat Oakland Dec 27
- Terps close out non-conference slate against Grizzlies Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona routs Oakland Dec 17
- Oakland hits road seeking upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 16
- Niang guides Iowa State over Oakland Nov 15
- Oakland pays visit to No. 14 Iowa State Nov 14
- Oakland's Bader sets NCAA 3-point mark Feb 2
- Michigan State holds off Oakland Dec 15