Maryland coasts past slumping North Carolina 92-71Feb 7, 2010 - 9:07 PM By DAVID GINSBURG AP Sports Writer
COLLEGE PARK, Md.(AP) -- Greivis Vasquez had 26 points and 11 assists, and Maryland solidified its hold on second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference with a 92-71 victory over skidding North Carolina on Sunday.
Eric Hayes scored 16 for the Terrapins (16-6, 6-2), who never trailed after taking a 7-6 lead. Maryland has won four of its last five games against North Carolina, including last year's memorable 88-85 overtime thriller.
In that game, Vasquez scored 35 to help the Terrapins rally from 16 points down. In this one, Maryland let a 16-point lead dwindle to 3 before pulling away.
Marcus Ginyard led North Carolina (13-10, 2-6) with 17 points and Deon Thompson had 16. It was the sixth loss in seven games for the Tar Heels, their worst streak since 2002. The defending NCAA champions are 10th in the ACC, a half-game out of last place.
- NCAA BB
NORTH CAROLINA 71
MARYLAND 92 FINAL
Feb 7 3:59 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH CAROLINA 34
MARYLAND 44 HALFTIME
Feb 7 2:52 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2