Alcorn State gets first win, 55-54 over MVSUFeb 14, 2010 - 2:12 AM LORMAN, Miss.(AP) -- Ian Francis scored 14 points and Alcorn State won its first game of the season, 55-54 over Mississippi Valley State on Saturday.
The Braves (1-23, 1-11 Southwestern Athletic Conference) trailed 30-25 at halftime and shot 52.4 percent from the field in the second half (11 of 21).
Alcorn State led 54-47 on a free throw by Ian Francis with 32 seconds left, before the Delta Devils (6-19, 5-7) went on a 7-1 run. D'Angelo Jackson's 3 brought Mississippi Valley State within 55-54 with 6 seconds to go.
Alcorn State's Corey Anthony was fouled with 2 seconds left, and missed both shots, but the Delta Devils couldn't get a shot off.
Francis scored 11 in the first half for the Braves, who jumped out to a 12-0 lead with 13:42 to go until halftime.
Shannon Behling scored 19 points for Mississippi Valley State, which shot 13.3 percent from 3-point range in the second half (2-15).
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 54
ALCORN ST 55 FINAL
Feb 13 8:05 PM
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 30
ALCORN ST 25 HALFTIME
Feb 13 6:50 PM
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- No. 9 Iowa State crushes Mississippi Valley Dec 31
- Cyclones go in search of two milestone wins Dec 31
- Taylor leads Texas rout of Alcorn State Nov 17
- Braves face tall task in clash with 10th-ranked Longhorns Nov 16
- Payne named Mississippi Valley men's basketball coach Jul 11
- Oklahoma State routs MVSU Nov 9
- Cowboys set sights on Delta Devils in season opener Nov 8
- Fair helps No. 9 Syracuse top Alcorn State Dec 29
- Orange battle Braves in Gotham Classic action Dec 29
- Pressey, Missouri rout Alcorn State Nov 14
- No. 24 Cincy crushes MVSU Nov 14