Bryant snaps 28-game skid, beats Wagner 53-51Feb 19, 2010 - 3:24 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Raphael Jordan made two free throws with 1 second left Thursday night to lift Bryant to its first win of the season, a 53-51 victory over Wagner that snapped a 28-game losing streak.
The Bulldogs (1-26, 1-14 Northeast Conference), the last Division I team in the country to win a game, shot 43 percent from the field (18 of 42) and 71 percent from the free throw line (12 of 17). It was their first win since a 70-46 victory over New Jersey Institute of Technology on Feb. 17, 2009.
"It was the elephant in the room. I was feeling really bad for the kids because of the effort they were making," Bryant coach Tim O'Shea said. "Most of them were recruited to play Division II. It was a tough situation for them."
Chris Martin and Josh Thompson finished with 12 points each for Wagner (4-24, 2-13), which lost its fifth straight.
The Seahawks (4-24, 2-13) led 51-50 on Doug Elwell's basket with 1:30 left. Vlad Kondratyev made a free throw 23 second later to tie it.
After Wagner missed two chances at go-ahead 3-pointers, Bryant inbounded the ball with 4 seconds left. A driving Jordan was fouled by Martin with 1 second left.
"I didn't want to go into overtime. It's hard to keep rallying," O'Shea said. "We had 4 seconds. We just wanted to get the ball into his hands and see if we could make a play."
It was Bryant's first road win since a 72-68 victory over Quinnipiac on Feb. 7, 2009.
- NCAA BB
WAGNER 51 FINAL
Feb 18 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
WAGNER 23 HALFTIME
Feb 18 8:14 PM
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Top-seeded Wagner tops Robert Morris 59-50 in NEC tourney Mar 2
- Wagner beats Robert Morris 62-54 behind Carey Feb 27
- Robert Morris cruises past Bryant 89-71 Feb 6
- Robert Morris never trails in 65-54 win over Bryant Jan 23
- Wagner edges Robert Morris 72-69 Jan 4
- UConn opens title defense with comeback win over Bryant Nov 15
- UConn begins title defense against Bryant Nov 14
- Smith, Ohio State rout Bryant Dec 11
- Buckeyes and Bulldogs battle in Gotham Classic Dec 11
- Dower Jr's big night leads Gonzaga past Bryant Nov 10
- No. 15 Gonzaga takes on Bryant in season opener Nov 9