Jackson State defeats MVSU 63-52Feb 28, 2010 - 2:17 AM JACKSON, Miss.(AP) -- Garrison Johnson had 25 points and 11 rebounds, and Jackson State beat Mississippi Valley State 63-52 on Saturday night.
The Tigers (16-11, 14-1 Southwestern Athletic Conference), can clinch the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament with a win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on March 1.
De'Suan Dixon added 15 points and Rod Melvin had 12 for the Tigers, who won their 10th game in a row and 16th in the past 17.
Jackson State led 30-23 at halftime and built a 14-point lead before the Delta Devils (8-21, 7-9) rallied. Trailing 44-33 with 12:13 to play, MVSU went on an 11-2 run to cut the lead to 46-44 after a 3-pointer by Ricky Lamb with 8:22 to play.
The Tigers answered with an 11-0 run to put the game out of reach.
Amos Studivant and Julius Cheeks each scored 10 points for the Delta Devils, who lost their third straight game.
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 52
JACKSON ST 63 FINAL
Feb 27 8:28 PM
- NCAA BB
MISS VALLEY ST 23
JACKSON ST 30 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:25 PM
- Robert Morris hangs on for 67-64 win over MVSU Nov 28
- No. 9 Iowa State crushes Mississippi Valley Dec 31
- Cyclones go in search of two milestone wins Dec 31
- Payne named Mississippi Valley men's basketball coach Jul 11
- Memphis outlasts Jackson State Dec 28
- Jackson State seeks upset of No. 17 Memphis Dec 28
- Oklahoma State routs MVSU Nov 9
- Cowboys set sights on Delta Devils in season opener Nov 8
- Brent takes over as new Jackson State coach Mar 25
- No. 24 Cincy crushes MVSU Nov 14
- Delta Devils set to challenge 24th-ranked Bearcats Nov 13
- Baylor eases past Jackson State Nov 11