UTSA defeats Lamar 76-74 for 5th win in a rowFeb 28, 2010 - 3:31 AM BEAUMONT, Texas(AP) -- Morris Smith IV scored 21 points and UTSA defeated Lamar 76-74 Saturday night.
The Roadrunners (18-9, 8-6 Southland) won their fifth in a row.
Omar Johnson had 17 points and eight rebounds for UTSA and Demarco Stepter added 13 points. The Roadrunners shot 60 percent from the field and led 38-27 at the break.
Justin Nabors had 25 points and eight rebounds to lead Lamar (14-16, 5-9).
The Cardinals trailed 68-58 with 3:03 to play, but scored the game's next nine points. Though they were within a point on three different occasions, the Cardinals couldn't draw even with UTSA. Smith and Devin Gibson each made a pair of free throws in the final 8 seconds.
Anthony Miles had 11 points before fouling out, and Reggie Mathis added 10 for Lamar.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- No. 20 Iowa State pulls away to rout Lamar Dec 2
- Cyclones seek redemption in clash with Cardinals Dec 2
- No. 22 SMU routs Lamar in opener Nov 15
- 22nd-ranked Mustangs begin season against Cardinals Nov 14
- Lamar axes Pat Knight Feb 16
- UTSA extends Thompson through 2016-17 Jul 26
- Vermont downs Lamar, joins field of 64 Mar 14
- Vermont battles Lamar in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 14