Coll. of Charleston 63, W. Michigan 66Dec 25, 2009 - 11:38 PM HONOLULU (AP) -- David Kool scored 16 points and Martelle McLemore had 15 to lift Western Michigan to a 66-63 win over College of Charleston in the fifth-place game of the Diamond Head Classic on Friday.
Donald Lawson added 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Broncos (6-5).
Jeremy Simmons and Andrew Goudelock each scored 17 points, and Tony White Jr. added 16 for the Cougars (6-6), who led by as many as 11 midway through the first half.
After McLemore hit a 3-pointer with 2:33 left to give Western Michigan a 64-60 lead, Donovan Monroe answered from 3-point range for the Cougars, but the Broncos grabbed three offensive rebounds to run down the clock.
Kool hit two free throws with 15 seconds left to seal it.
Western Michigan shot just 38 percent from the field but made 10 of 24 from behind the arc.
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 63
WESTRN MICHIGAN 66 FINAL
Dec 25 6:16 PM
- NCAA BB
COLL OF CHARLTN 29
WESTRN MICHIGAN 29 HALFTIME
Dec 25 5:18 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- West Virginia routs College of Charleston Nov 30
- Cougars hit road to challenge 21st-ranked Mountaineers Nov 29
- No. 17 UConn fends off Charleston Nov 20
- Huskies take on Cougars in Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 20
- College of Charleston fires Wojcik Aug 5
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15