The Citadel tops Samford 55-43 in SoCon tournamentMar 6, 2010 - 2:28 AM CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Cameron Wells scored 17 points to lead The Citadel to a 55-43 victory over Samford in the first round of the Southern Conference tournament on Friday night.
Wells also had eight rebounds and four assists as The Citadel (16-15) snapped a three-game losing streak.
The Citadel advanced to Saturday's quarterfinal matchup against Appalachian State, which earned a first round bye.
The Citadel took control early with an 11-0 spurt to lead 20-11. It led 27-18 at halftime, and then by as many as 18 points in the second half.
The Citadel shot 16 of 18 from the free-throw line for the game, with Wells going 6 for 6.
The Citadel also got 13 points from Harrison DuPont and 10 points from Austin Dahn.
Trey Montgomery led Samford (11-20) with 16 points. Samford shot just 31.4 percent from the field and was 5 of 27 from 3-point range.
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Samford coach Padgett signs 4-year extension Mar 6
- Spartans seek redemption in clash with Bulldogs Dec 22
- Samford tabs Padgett new head coach Jun 6
- Davidson vs. Citadel moved to Monday due to storm Feb 11
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20
- Kentucky puts win streak on the line against Samford Dec 20
- Appalachian State knocks off The Citadel 71-61 Mar 6