Gators down Vandy in OTFeb 2, 2011 - 5:14 AM Florida's 65-61 overtime win over No. 23 Vanderbilt.
Erving Walker and Kenny Boynton each had 15 points for the Gators (17-5, 6-2 SEC), who have won two overtime games in seven days. Florida defeated Georgia, 104-91, in double-overtime on January 25.
John Jenkins had a game-best 22 points and added six boards for the Commodores (15-6, 3-4 SEC), who have lost two straight, including an 89-78 loss to Arkansas on Saturday. Brad Tinsley added 15 points in the defeat.
In the low-scoring game, points were at a premium during the second half.
Boynton hit a three-pointer and then back-to-back free throws to give Florida a 43-35 lead with 12:24 left in the game. After nearly two scoreless minutes, Jenkins nailed a trey to make it a five-point game.
It was 48-45 on Jenkins' layup with six minutes remaining and Boynton made it a five-point game once more with two free throws.
That started a five-point burst for the Gators -- all scored from the free throw line -- which gave them a 53-45 lead with 4:51 left.
Vanderbilt made it 54-52 with 2:52 to go after Tinsley's free throws. The score stayed that way until Jenkins hit two free throws to knot the game at 54 with 23 ticks left in regulation.
Florida never got off a good shot during the final possession as Walker lofted a long-distance three that hit the back of the iron to force overtime.
Boynton hit a three-pointer with 64 seconds left in OT for a 63-61 Florida edge. Then after a Jenkins air-ball, Parsons' two free throws made it a two- possession game and created the final margin, as Vandy was held scoreless during the waning moments.
In the first half both teams shot under 37 percent. The poor shooting performance kept the game close as neither teams built a lead bigger than four.
Walker's trey at the buzzer put Florida up 25-24 at the half.
This was the 122nd meeting between the schools -- Vanderbilt still leads, 63-59...Florida made 15-of-26 shots from the charity stripe, while Vandy made 13-of-18...The Commodores struggled from three-point range, making just 26.1 percent of their shots...The Gators won the battle on the glass, 47-34.
- VANDERBILT: 61
Final - OT
Feb 1 11:24 PM
- VANDERBILT: 54
End of Regulation
Feb 1 11:04 PM
- VANDERBILT: 24
Feb 1 9:51 PM
- VANDERBILT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 1 9:05 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15