Billikens dominate RamsJan 19, 2014 - 1:02 AM St. Louis, MO (SportsNetwork.com) - Dwayne Evans posted 21 points and 10 rebounds to lead No. 24 Saint Louis to a 70-48 rout of Fordham in an Atlantic 10 clash from Chaifetz Arena.
Jordair Jett amassed 18 points, including the 1,000th of his career, along with nine rebounds and six assists to help the Billikens (17-2, 4-0 A-10) cruise to their 11th consecutive victory. Mike McCall Jr. added 12 points and seven boards to the triumph.
"It's hard to win one game, let alone 11 in a row," said Billikens head coach Jim Crews afterward. "It is a great tribute to these guys. One of the great staples of this team over the last three years is that we win all kind of different ways -- different guys step up at different times and we win different kind of games. That's a great asset to have."
Jon Severe, the A-10's current scoring leader, paced Fordham (7-10, 0-4) with 22 points but went just 9-of-25 from the floor. As a team the Rams shot just 29.0 percent overall en route to their sixth consecutive defeat.
Saint Louis used its trademark strong defense to build a comfortable 30-16 lead at halftime, limiting the Rams to a meager 19 percent field goal percentage over the first 20 minutes that included a 1-of-15 success rate from 3-point range.
The Billikens broke things open with a 12-0 run that turned a 3-point lead into a 22-7 advantage with 4:43 remaining in the half. Jett, who tallied 11 points and eight rebounds prior to the break, capped the surge with a pair of free throws that followed Evans' jumper from beyond the arc.
Fordham never threatened in the second half, with Saint Louis extending the margin to 25 points when Jake Barnett concluded a 9-0 spurt with a trey that put the Billikens up 56-31 with 10:17 left to play.
Jett reached his personal milestone with 1:26 to go, canning a pair of free throws that staked Saint Louis to a commanding 67-45 lead.
Saint Louis is 4-0 in conference play for the first time since 1964-65, when the Billikens won four straight to begin their Missouri Valley slate ... Jett finished 12-of-15 from the foul line to outscore the Rams at the stripe by himself, with Fordham going just 4-of-9 on free throw tries ... Saint Louis has won nine of the 10 all-time meetings between the schools, with Fordham's lone win coming in the Bronx on Jan. 20, 2007 ... The Billikens improved to 42-4 at Chaifetz Arena over the last three seasons.
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6
- Louisville reaches Sweet 16 with win over Saint Louis Mar 22