Baron's late shot lifts Rhode IslandJan 13, 2008 - 10:49 PM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Jimmy Baron made a fadeaway jumper with 3.2 seconds remaining, giving 20th-ranked Rhode Island a dramatic 80-78 victory over Duquesne in an Atlantic 10 Conference thriller Sunday.
Aaron Jackson had given the Dukes a 79-78 lead with 11 seconds left after converting an acrobatic drive to the basket while drawing a foul. However, he was unable to complete the three-point play.
Going without a timeout, the Rams (14-2, 1-1 A-10) went to Baron, who calmly sank the go-ahead basket.
Before making the eventual winning basket, Baron had struggled. The junior, whose mother was in attendance, made 4-of-14 shots, including a 2-of-10 showing from 3-point range.
The Dukes (11-4, 1-1) threw away the ensuing inbound pass following a timeout. Kahiem Seawright then split a pair of free throws, sealing the win.
Will Daniels scored 28 points to pace Rhode Island, which rebounded from a 92-83 loss at No. 22 Dayton on Wednesday.
Already having surpassed its win total from last season when it went 11-19, Duquesne built a 62-55 lead with under 11 minutes remaining on a layup by Kojo Mensah, who scored 14 points.
But Daniels scored eight points in a 12-5 surge, tying the contest at 67-67 with under seven minutes left. No team led by more than three points thereafter.
Reggie Jackson scored 19 points and Gary Tucker added 14 for the Dukes, who led for most of the first half before settling for a 38-37 edge at the break.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DUQUESNE 38 40 78
RHODE ISLAND (20) 37 43 80 FINAL
Jan 13 4:17 PM
- NCAA BB
(20) RHODE ISLAND 37 HALFTIME
Jan 13 2:55 PM
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23
- Rams butt heads with 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 22