Final - OT
  for this game

Wallace, Georgetown pull out win over Marquette

Mar 2, 2008 - 1:16 AM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Marquette had a big win until it let Jonathan Wallace get to the free-throw line.

Wallace wrapped up an outstanding effort from the stripe by splitting two free throws with nine seconds left as the 10th-ranked Hoyas squeaked out a 70-68 overtime victory over the Golden Eagles in the Big East Conference on Saturday.

Wallace also converted three free throws with 2.8 seconds left in regulation to knot the contest at 63-63, forcing the second overtime game of the season for Georgetown (24-4, 14-3 Big East).

With their fourth straight win, the Hoyas continued their quest for a regular-season title, pulling one-half game ahead of idle Louisville (13-3) with a game to play. The Cardinals face Villanova on Sunday.

Wallace finished 8-of-10 on foul shots en route to 20 points. Roy Hibbert also scored 20 points, including a jump hook that tied the score at 59-59 with 1:08 left in regulation.

Marquette (21-7, 11-6) worked the ball around on the other end, getting a 3-point attempt from Dominic James from the left of the key. Although the junior missed, Dwight Burke swept in from the weak side and was fouled when he completed a follow dunk.

Burke, however, missed the ensuing free throw, leaving the Golden Eagles with a 61-59 lead with 31 seconds left.

Marquette pressured Georgetown on the other end, but Patrick Ewing Jr. was able to get to the line with 11 seconds left after taking a pass on a cut from Hibbert, making 1-of-2.

Wesley Matthews grabbed the rebound on the missed second attempt and raced up the court, getting fouled and making both attempts from the stripe with eight seconds to play for a 63-60 edge.

However, Wallace made his way down the right sideline and was hit on the arm by James when squaring up to get off a 3-pointer in the closing seconds.

After Ewing was called out of bounds intercepting Marquette's long pass from the opposite baseline with 1.5 ticks left, Lazar Hayward had a desperation attempt miss badly, sending the game into overtime.

In the extra session, the Golden Eagles missed just one of four free throws in the opening 1 1/2 minutes, but the Hoyas tied the score at 66-66 when Wallace banked in a 3-pointer with 2:58 to play.

Following three free throws, Georgetown held a 69-66 lead before Jerel McNeal's putback made it a one-point game with 19 seconds left.

Wallace then got 1-of-2 free throws before Jessie Sapp knocked the ball away from James in the closing moments to seal the win for the Hoyas.

Hibbert also had six rebounds and blocked three shots. Despite a tough offensive game, DaJuan Summers had 14 rebounds and Ewing added seven points and nine boards for Georgetown, which had a slim 39-37 rebounding advantage.

Matthews tied a career high with 22 points for Marquette, which had a five-game winning streak snapped.

McNeal finished with an oustanding effort, scoring 17 points, grabbing eight rebounds, handing out six assists and collecting six steals.

James had 15 points for the Golden Eagles, who shot just 25 percent (8-of-32) after halftime.

Behind 12 turnovers, the Hoyas faced a 32-28 deficit at the half. That deficit drew as Georgetown continued to give the ball away, falling behind 48-37 with 12:11 to play.

Although they finished with 21 turnovers, the Hoyas closed within 50-47 with 8:17 left as Wallace bookended an 8-0 run with a jumper and two free throws.

Ewing hit a 3-pointer with just under six minutes to play, and converted two free throws to close Georgetown within 55-54 with 4:20 remaining.

Wallace's layup with 3:35 to play gave the Hoyas their first lead since the opening three minutes of the contest at 56-55.

Marquette converted Georgetown's turnovers into 26 points.