Hayward, Butler hold off DetroitFeb 6, 2009 - 8:25 AM DETROIT (Ticker) -- Freshman Gordon Hayward scored 22 points and Shelvin Mack had 14 as No. 11 Butler held on for a 66-61 victory over Detroit in a Horizon League contest on Thursday.
Hayward made four 3-pointers and was 7-of-8 from the floor to notch his fifth 20-point game of the season. The 6-8 forward was 4-of-5 from the foul line.
Butler (20-2, 11-1 Horizon) was coming off a 75-66 setback at Wisconsin-Green Bay on Monday, which snapped its 21-game league winning streak.
The Bulldogs looked like the loss was behind them early on - thanks to Hayward, who made four quick shots and helped Butler jump out to a 23-13 lead with 9:51 left before the break.
Detroit cut the deficit to three but Butler finished the first half strong and pushed the lead up to 35-25 at the intermission on Mack's putback layup.
The Bulldogs continued to let the Titans hang around and Woody Payne's steal and layup cut the Butler lead to 44-40 with 10:35 to play.
Payne made a pair of free throws to pull Detroit within one but Hayward answered with a 3-pointer to give Butler a 48-44 lead with 6:58 remaining. The basket was Butler's first in nearly 5 1/2 minutes.
Butler, which led by at least four the rest of the way, was able to hold firm, making 12-of-14 free throws down the stretch to seal the win.
Payne scored 19 points and Chris Hayes had a season-high 18 to lead the Titans (6-16, 1-11).
It was Detroit's fifth straight loss against Butler. The Titans have lost 14 straight games against ranked opponents.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BUTLER (11) 35 31 66
DETROIT 25 36 61 FINAL
Feb 5 10:11 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) BUTLER 35
DETROIT 25 HALFTIME
Feb 5 8:52 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30
- Notre Dame needs OT to beat Butler Mar 22