Howard, Butler clinch share of Horizon League titleFeb 27, 2009 - 2:47 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- The third time proved to be the charm for Butler.
Matt Howard had 25 points and 10 rebounds and freshman Gordon Hayward scored 14 as the 23rd-ranked Bulldogs clinched a share of the Horizon League title with a 78-57 victory over Youngstown State on Thursday.
Butler (24-4, 14-3 Horizon), which had lost its two previous league games, can clinch the outright crown with a win over Cleveland State on Saturday. The Bulldogs have had at least a share of the regular-season title each of the last three seasons.
The Bulldogs, who never trailed, shot 55 percent (28-of-51) from the field as they posted their seventh straight victory against the Penguins.
Howard scored six early points as Butler held an 11-3 lead with 15:29 left in the first half.
The Penguins got back within three midway through the half but Howard continued to score inside and his layup made it a 29-20 score with 4:56 to play before the break. Howard finished with 14 first-half points as Butler took a 38-28 lead into the locker rooms.
Butler kept Youngstown State at bay and Willie Veasley capped an 8-0 run with a three-point play, giving the Bulldogs a 46-32 lead with 15:35 remaining.
Youngstown cut the deficit to single digits but Butler put the game away with a 10-0 burst to take a 56-37 bulge with 11:12 to play. Howard scored four points and Shawn Vanzant made a pair of 3-pointers during the run and the Penguins never threatened the rest of the way.
Sirlester Martin scored 15 points to pace Youngstown State (11-17, 7-10).
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
YOUNGSTOWN ST 28 29 57
BUTLER (23) 38 40 78 FINAL
Feb 26 9:34 PM
- NCAA BB
YOUNGSTOWN ST 28
(23) BUTLER 38 HALFTIME
Feb 26 8:22 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9