Brevard, Ward, lift Seminoles over UCF 70-58Dec 17, 2009 - 3:15 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Florida State knows what it means now that the Seminoles are in the top 10 of the women's poll for the first time.
"We've got a big old target on our backs now," senior Jacinta Monroe said after No. 10 Florida State fought its way past a scrappy UCF team to win 70-58.
Cierra Brevard had 12 points and six rebounds and Courtney Ward had 12 points and six assists and Angel Gray and Alexa Deluzio also scored 12 points apiece for the Seminoles (9-0), who won their 17th straight road game.
"We tell the girls that the rankings don't mean anything, but there's no doubt it means something to our opponent," Seminoles coach Sue Semrau said. "Give UCF credit, they really took it to us and we took awhile to get used to that."
Emma Cannon had 16 points and 15 rebounds for UCF (2-5). The Knights got 12 points from Jelisa Caldwell, but lost their fourth straight.
Florida State shot 52 percent in the second half and limited UCF to 33.3 percent, breaking open what had been a close game for the first 20 minutes.
The Seminoles were playing their first game after a 10-day layoff for final exams were outrebounded for the first time this season, 40-34. They also turned the ball over 16 times.
"Ten days off equals rust and it took us awhile to shake off the rust," Semrau said. "We talked about it at halftime and finally got moving the second half, but we know we're better than what we played."
The Seminoles finished the first half with a 12-7 run to take 31-26 halftime lead. Deluzio stole a pass and beat the UCF defense down the court to score at the buzzer for a small cushion after an up-and-down performance kept things close.
In the second half, Florida State ran off nine straight points to go up 55-41 with 5:49 to play. Deluzio's driving layup finished off the run and UCF couldn't get the deficit under 10 until 50 seconds remained.
"We didn't make them pay for their mistakes," UCF coach Joi Williams said. "We got 23 offensive rebounds and forced enough turnovers, but we didn't make them pay for not boxing us out or turning the ball over. We've got to do that to play on their level."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FLORIDA ST (10) 70
UCF 58 FINAL
Dec 16 9:00 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FLORIDA ST (10) 31
UCF 26 HALFTIME
Dec 16 7:52 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- UCF fires women's basketball coach Joi Williams Mar 7
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4