Savannah State no match for No. 9 Georgia, 80-45Dec 31, 2009 - 2:16 AM SAVANNAH, Ga.(AP) -- Jasmine Hassell scored 13 points and Anne Marie Armstrong had 12 points, and No. 9 Georgia remained undefeated with an 80-45 victory over Savannah State on Wednesday night.
The Lady Bulldogs (13-0) forced 28 turnovers and held Savannah State (8-8) to 18-of-44 shooting.
Ashley Houts added 10 points for Georgia.
Crissa Jackson led Savannah State with 14 points.
The rout was on early as the Lady Bulldogs, using a crushing defense that forced 28 turnovers, rolled to a 27-3 lead. Jasmine James, who finished with seven steals, had eight points during that opening burst.
After a timeout with 10:54 left in the first half, however, Savannah State finally shook off the nerves and fought back. With 6-foot-7 freshman Reynetta Phillips scoring four points and blocking the lane, the Lady Tigers outscored Georgia 23-19 the rest of the way.
Still, Georgia, aided by 15 Savannah State turnovers, held a commanding 46-26 lead at halftime.
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21
- Mitchell scores 19, leads SEC champ No. 3 Gamecocks to win Feb 18
- Balance helps Georgia women knock off No. 21 Missouri 65-50 Feb 4
- New coach Joni Taylor says Georgia must return to NCAAs Jan 29
- Barbee helps Georgia upset No. 10 Mississippi State 47-43 Jan 21
- Georgia women upend No. 20 Florida 71-61 Jan 14