Wright has 24, No. 23 Virginia beats ColoradoJan 3, 2010 - 12:48 AM BOULDER, Colo.(AP) -- Monica Wright scored 24 points, Whitny Edwards had 14 and nine rebounds and No. 23 Virginia held off Colorado to win 74-59 Saturday.
Bianca Smith had 23 points and Brittany Spears had 20 for the Buffaloes.
The Cavaliers (10-3) led by two at halftime before building a 46-35 lead midway through the second half. Colorado (9-3) rallied behind the hot shooting of Smith, who tied a season high with six 3-pointers. Smith hit four in the second half to get the Buffaloes within 52-50 with 5:50 remaining.
Wright, who was in foul trouble in the first half, helped the Cavaliers take control. She scored 11 points in the final 5:30 to hold off a furious rally by the Buffaloes. She fouled out with 1:18 remaining and the Cavaliers leading 69-58.
Colorado, which lost at Virginia by 34 last year, had won seven of its last eight.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
VIRGINIA (23) 74
COLORADO 59 FINAL
Jan 2 7:43 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
VIRGINIA (23) 31
COLORADO 29 HALFTIME
Jan 2 6:25 PM
- Colorado hires JR Payne as women's basketball coach Mar 28
- Colorado women's coach Linda Lappe resigns Mar 7
- Washington women beat Colorado 67-51 in Pac-12 tourney Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- McPhee leads No. 15 Stanford women past Colorado 80-49 Feb 20
- No. 11 Louisville women pull away from Virginia 74-59 Feb 18
- Weisner leads No. 8 Oregon State women past Colorado, 73-50 Feb 13
- Payton leads Oregon State past Colorado 60-56 Feb 6
- No. 15 UCLA women defeat Colorado 82-64 Jan 30
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Thomas leads No. 15 Florida State women past Virginia 70-48 Jan 21
- No. 10 Arizona State wins 11th straight, 64-37 over Colorado Jan 15