Wurtz leads Badgers past No. 20 Spartans 48-45Jan 15, 2010 - 2:39 AM EAST LANSING, Mich.(AP) -- Reserve Taylor Wurtz scored 16 points, including the game-winning layup, to complete a comeback and push Wisconsin past No. 20 Michigan State 48-45 on Thursday night.
Wurtz had 11 points in the first half for the Badgers (14-4, 4-3 Big Ten), who trailed 39-25 but closed with a 23-6 run.
Teah Gant scored all 10 of her points in the second half and made a game-saving deflection, while Alyssa Karel finished with 10 points after a 2-for-10 start from the field.
Allyssa DeHaan had 12 points for the Spartans (11-6, 2-4), who lost their second in a row at home and fourth straight overall. The 6-foot-9 center helped her team to a 27-23 lead at the half with a pair of 3-pointers.
The Badgers rallied with defense, allowing just one basket and four points in the final 12:15. They held Michigan State to 28.6 percent shooting in each half and forced 16 turnovers.
Wisconsin wasn't much better but did hit its shots when it needed them most, including Wurtz's basket with 52 seconds left.
The much-taller Spartans had a 45-37 edge on the boards but seemed lethargic after building a seemingly safe cushion.
The Badgers came up with every loose ball down the stretch and extended their series winning streak, including an upset in last year's Big Ten Tournament and a pair of wins in Madison.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MICHIGAN ST (20) 45 FINAL
Jan 14 8:58 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MICHIGAN ST (20) 27 HALFTIME
Jan 14 7:51 PM
- Wisconsin hires Jonathan Tsipis as women's basketball coach Mar 31
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Wisconsin fires women's basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey Mar 4
- Short-handed Northwestern women beat Wisconsin 76-72 in OT Mar 2
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27