Phillipses help Xavier beat Rhode IslandJan 28, 2010 - 2:53 AM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Rhode Island had no answer for Xavier's inside game.
April Phillips had 18 points and 11 rebounds to help No. 10 Xavier beat Rhode Island 88-60 on Wednesday night.
Ta'Shia Phillips added 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Musketeers (15-3, 5-0 Atlantic 10), who have won six straight.
"We're trying to play at our best for 40 minutes," said Xavier head coach Kevin McGuff of his club's current win string. "Tonight, we had some really good moments where we looked great and also had moments when we didn't, and so we're still a work in progress."
April Philips, who came into the game averaging 9.8 points, hit 7 of her 13 shots. Ta'Shia Phillips was 8-for-10 from the field.
"We just didn't have any answers for their inside game," said Rhode island coach Cathy Inglese. "When you give them the inside stuff, they hit from the outside. We knew we couldn't stop them in both places. We tried to close down inside and they hit 3s. They just have so many weapons that it's difficult to stop them."
Xavier trailed early on, but used a 10-0 run to take a 14-6 lead. The Musketeers extended their advantage to as many as 22 in the first half. It was 38-21 at the break.
The Rams chipped away in the second half narrowing the gap to 15 following Shoniker's 3-pointer with 14 minutes to play, but couldn't get any closer.
"We're still working toward better consistency," said coach McGruff in regard to the second half which saw the Rams outscore Xavier 50-39.
Megan Shoniker scored 28 points for the Rams (9-12, 2-4), who have lost four straight.
- No. 23 DePaul women beat Xavier 82-52 Feb 12
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Rhode Island 57-54 Nov 13
- Louisville advances to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- South Dakota State no match for Xavier Mar 20
- Phillips helps Xavier claim A-10 title Mar 7
- Xavier advances to A-10 title game Mar 6
- Strong second half powers Xavier past St. Joe's Mar 5
- Harris helps Xavier edge Temple, clinch A-10 Feb 27
- No. 6 Xavier dominates George Washington Feb 23
- Phillips, Xavier push win streak to 13 games Feb 20
- No. 6 Xavier rolls past Saint Louis Feb 16
- No. 7 Xavier dominates Fordham Feb 12