No. 9 Xavier gets past Dayton in A-10 openerJan 9, 2011 - 11:07 PM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Amber Harris scored a game-high 23 points with 11 rebounds, and No. 9 Xavier opened its Atlantic 10 schedule with a 63-59 victory over Dayton at Cintas Center.
Ta'Shia Phillips also notched a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds for Xavier (12-2, 1-0 A-10), which has won two straight since back-to-back losses to Duke and Stanford.
Kari Daugherty led Dayton (9-6, 0-1) with 19 points while Justine Raterman and Samantha MacKay both scored 12 points for the Flyers, who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
The game was locked at 31 after a back-and-forth first half.
Xavier had a 41-38 lead before Daugherty knocked down a long three-pointer just over the 13-minute mark to knot the game at 41.
A Megan Askew layup on the far end started a 14-3 run Musketeers run that Katie Rutan capped with a three with 9 1/2 minutes remaining.
The Flyers responded with an 8-0 spurt that included five points from Daugherty to pull within 55-52.
MacKay hit on a mid-range jumper with 27 seconds remaining to cut the deficit to 61-59, and after Harris missed one foul shot with 10 ticks remaining, she connected on a pair with eight seconds left to put the Musketeers up 63-59.
MacKay's three at the buzzer was off target to end the game.
- DAYTON: 59
Jan 9 4:58 PM
- DAYTON: 31
Jan 9 3:48 PM
- DAYTON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 3:10 PM
- No. 23 DePaul women beat Xavier 82-52 Feb 12
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66 Nov 29
- Smith leads No. 13 Stanford women past Dayton 74-66 Nov 28
- UConn shakes Dayton, advances to another Final Four Mar 31
- Dayton upsets Louisville to advance to Elite Eight Mar 28
- Malott, Dayton knock off Kentucky Mar 22
- Dayton handles Iowa State Mar 20
- Flyers foiled by Florida in first round Mar 23
- Dayton's Austria has successful knee surgery Feb 17
- Dayton's Jabir rewarded with extension Apr 17
- Mathies bounces back as Kentucky thumps Dayton Mar 26
- Dayton prevails in double overtime to down St. John's Mar 24