UConn dismantles previously undefeated DukeFeb 1, 2011 - 3:23 AM Connecticut to an 87-51 throttling of No. 3 Duke at Gampel Pavilion.
Tiffany Hayes contributed 20 points, seven boards and four assists while Kelly Faris supplied 14 points and five caroms for the Huskies (21-1), who have won nine in a row since suffering their lone defeat December 30 at Stanford.
The hosts shot 57.4 percent from the floor and made 17-of-21 at the line to extend their home winning streak to an NCAA-record 73 games.
Jasmine Thomas scored 13 points, but shot only 4-for-16, and was the only player to reach double figures for the Blue Devils (20-1), who were the last unbeaten team left in the nation.
UConn took control right from the start, scoring the game's first 13 points. The Blue Devils missed their first 12 shots before Shay Shelby's layup finally got them on the board five minutes in.
The Huskies scored the next 10 points and grabbed a 29-4 lead after a Moore triple with just under seven minutes left before the break.
The hosts built the lead to as many as 31, at 40-9, and held a 41-15 advantage at the intermission.
Duke pulled to within 50-32 inside of 15 minutes to play but would get no closer. The Huskies then went on an 11-0 run, capped by a Moore triple, to reassert their dominance and leave no doubt about the outcome.
The Blue Devils made just one of their first 20 attempts and wound up shooting a paltry 28.4 percent, including a 4-for-17 effort from three-point territory.
UConn leads the all-time series, 6-3, including a victory during the 2002-03 season that also ended a 20-0 start to the season by Duke.
- DUKE: 51
Jan 31 8:57 PM
- DUKE: 15
Jan 31 7:47 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 31 7:05 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4