Yellow Jackets sting Bowling Green in first roundMar 19, 2011 - 11:07 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Alex Montgomery registered a double-double with 14 points and a game-high 11 rebounds as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets topped the Bowling Green Falcons, 69-58, in the first round of the Dayton Region of the NCAA Tournament at St. John Arena.
Sasha Goodlett led the fifth-seeded Yellow Jackets (24-10) in scoring with 19 points, while Tyaunna Marshall accounted for 12 points and five steals off the bench.
The 12th-seeded Falcons (28-5) were led by Lauren Prochaska with 19 points on 5-of-16 shooting from the floor and a perfect 9-of-9 effort at the free-throw line. Chrissy Steffen delivered 16 points and five rebounds to match Prochaska for the team-high on the glass.
BGSU led by as many as four points early in the first half, the team shooting 50 percent from the field and a perfect 10-of-10 at the charity stripe in the frame, but at the break the Falcons still trailed by a point at 33-32.
In the second half Tech began to pull away and used a 10-of-14 performance at the free-throw line to secure the victory.
The Falcons were outscored in the paint, 44-32, and also turned the ball over a whopping 25 times, which Georgia Tech traded in for 22 points.
The Yellow Jackets are off to the second round of the tourney and will face Ohio State which defeated UCF on Saturday afternoon.
- BOWLING GREEN: 58
GEORGIA TECH: 69
Mar 19 1:18 PM
- BOWLING GREEN: 32
GEORGIA TECH: 33
Mar 19 12:09 PM
- BOWLING GREEN: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 11:21 AM
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- Turner, Allen lead No. 3 Notre Dame past Georgia Tech Jan 28
- No. 19 Florida State women hold on against Georgia Tech Jan 10
- Cable leads No. 3 Notre Dame for McGraw's at 799th win Dec 30
- Lady Tigers tackle Georgia Tech in tourney opener Mar 23
- Duke dispatches Georgia Tech to reach ACC semis Mar 7
- No. 8 Terps handle Yellow Jackets Feb 23
- Irish down Georgia Tech to stay unbeaten Feb 17
- Maryland holds off Georgia Tech Jan 19
- Terps use balanced attack to top Georgia Tech Jan 20