Georgia advances in thrillerMar 23, 2011 - 5:44 AM Auburn, AL (Sports Network) - Jasmine James scored a putback with 2.1 seconds left to hand the sixth-seeded Georgia Lady Bulldogs a 61-59 victory over the third-seeded Florida State Seminoles in a second round NCAA Tournament matchup from Auburn Arena.
James finished with 14 points, while Anne Marie Armstrong led the Lady Bulldogs (23-10), who advance to face Texas A&M, with 15 points. Khaalidah Miller and Meredith Mitchell added 11 and 10 points, respectively, and Porsha Phillips grabbed 10 boards.
Florida State (24-8) was led by Cierra Bravard's double-double of 19 points and 10 boards, while Courtney Ward added 12 points and nine assists, Alexa Deluzio added 11 points and Chasity Clayton pulled 10 rebounds.
Georgia struggled from the field early, shooting just 33.3 percent from the floor over the first 20 minutes of play, to trail 33-27 at the break.
The Lady Bulldogs turned up the heat defensively down the stretch, holding Florida State without a field goal over the final 10 minutes of regulation, to allow for James' heroics.
Georgia converted 8-of-19 three-point attempts on the night.
- GEORGIA: 61
FLORIDA STATE: 59
Mar 22 11:39 PM
- GEORGIA: 27
FLORIDA STATE: 33
Mar 22 10:19 PM
- GEORGIA: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 22 9:36 PM
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18