Georgia Tech breaks Sacred Heart in first roundMar 18, 2012 - 9:12 PM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Sydney Wallace scored a game-high 28 points as Georgia Tech crushed Sacred Heart, 76-50, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Carmichael Arena.
Also scoring in double figures for the fourth-seeded Yellow Jackets (25-8) were Sasha Goodlett and Mo Bennett with 12 and 11 points, respectively, the former also leading the way on the glass with 12 rebounds.
The 13th-seeded Pioneers (27-6) were paced by Gabrielle Washington who tallied 13 points and Callan Taylor with 10 in the setback.
Sacred Heart led by a basket five and a half minutes into the first half, but the team ended up shooting just 33.3 percent from the field in the period, including 2-of-9 behind the three-point line, leaving the squad with a 36-21 deficit at the break.
In the second half Tech put the game away with 56.0 percent shooting from the floor, in route to the lopsided 26-point final.
The Yellow Jackets, who are now set to meet third-seeded Georgetown in the second round of the tourney, compensated for 19 turnovers by shooting 8-of-12 behind the three-point line and 52.9 percent from the floor overall.
The 28 points by Wallace set a new GaTech NCAA Tournament record.
- SACRED HEART: 50
GEORGIA TECH: 76
Mar 18 4:46 PM
- SACRED HEART: 21
GEORGIA TECH: 36
Mar 18 3:41 PM
- SACRED HEART: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 2:54 PM
- Robert Morris women win NEC title, beat Sacred Heart 56-51 Mar 13
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- Turner, Allen lead No. 3 Notre Dame past Georgia Tech Jan 28
- No. 19 Florida State women hold on against Georgia Tech Jan 10
- Cable leads No. 3 Notre Dame for McGraw's at 799th win Dec 30
- Lady Tigers tackle Georgia Tech in tourney opener Mar 23
- Duke dispatches Georgia Tech to reach ACC semis Mar 7
- No. 8 Terps handle Yellow Jackets Feb 23
- Irish down Georgia Tech to stay unbeaten Feb 17
- Maryland holds off Georgia Tech Jan 19