Illinois hands No. 6 Georgia first loss of seasonDec 29, 2012 - 3:54 AM Champaign, IL (Sports Network) - Karisma Penn posted game-highs of 27 points and 19 rebounds as Illinois handed No. 6 Georgia its first loss of the season with a 70-59 victory at Assembly Hall.
Amber Moore and Adrienne GodBold each added 11 points for the Fighting Illini (7-5), who have won three of their last four.
Khaalidah Miller had 17 points and eight rebounds, while Jasmine James also poured in 17 points for Georgia (12-1), which was seeking its fifth 13-0 start during Andy Landers' 34 seasons as head coach.
After an early Jones jumper tied the game at 6-6, Moore, Taylor Tuck and Penn each connected on a 3-pointer during a lengthy 25-7 run that gave the Illini a 31-13 lead with a little over six minutes left in the first half.
Georgia, however, responded with a 9-0 push sparked by Miller's three-point play to cut its deficit to single digits and the Lady Bulldogs trailed, 36-29, at the break.
Illinois was able to keep Georgia at arm's length through the second half until a 13-4 run tied the game at 52-52 on a pair of James free throws.
But the Lady Bulldogs could not take the lead and after a Shacobia Barbee layup brought Georgia within 58-57 with 5:05 left in the game, Georgia would make just one more shot from the floor as Illinois closed out the contest with a 12-2 run to finish off the upset.
- GEORGIA: 59
Dec 28 10:12 PM
- GEORGIA: 29
Dec 28 8:55 PM
- GEORGIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 28 8:06 PM
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Illinois women lose leading scorer Chatrice White Apr 15
- Illinois athletic director: Women's coach will be back Mar 23
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- Alston scores 39 and No. 5 Ohio St routs Illinois 117-74 Feb 21
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21