Mitchell, No. 10 South Carolina down No. 9 KentuckyJan 10, 2014 - 4:28 AM Columbia, SC (SportsNetwork.com) - Tiffany Mitchell had 17 points and seven rebounds as No. 10 South Carolina defeated No. 9 Kentucky 68-59 on Thursday night.
Aleighsa Welch added 16 points and 14 boards for the Gamecocks (15-1, 3-0 SEC), who trailed 10-4 in the early proceedings, but outscored Kentucky 50-22 over the next 27 minutes to seize control of the contest.
South Carolina set a school record with 14 blocks and held Kentucky to just 31.5 percent shooting (23-of-73) from the floor.
Azia Bishop tallied 12 points and 11 rebounds for Kentucky (13-3, 1-2), which has dropped back-to-back tilts.
The Gamecocks led 34-24 at the break and Kentucky never got the deficit below eight in the second half.
- KENTUCKY: 59
SOUTH CAROLINA: 68
Jan 9 9:01 PM
- KENTUCKY: 24
SOUTH CAROLINA: 34
Jan 9 7:49 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 9 7:11 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24