Georgia freshman Houts beats buzzer to top LSUFeb 2, 2007 - 5:09 AM ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- Georgia freshman forward Ashley Houts showed the poise which belies her youth.
Houts scored the game-winning basket as the clock expired to lift the No. 14 Lady Bulldogs a stirring 53-51 victory over Southeastern Conference rival seventh-ranked Louisiana State.
The victory moves Georgia (19-4, 6-2 SEC) into a tie with LSU for second place in the conference standings.
After the Lady Tigers tied the score at 51-51 on a basket by Sylvia Fowles with 6.9 seconds remaining, Houts drove the length of the floor to hit the deciding shot from the baseline. She finished with six points, making both her shots from the field.
Tasha Humphrey scored 15 points and and grabbed 12 rebounds and Angel Robinson added 12 and eight for the Lady Bulldogs, who avenged a 57-55 loss to the Lady Tigers on January 7, winning their fifth straight game.
Quianna Chaney scored 20 points, shooting 5-of-7 on 3-pointers, and Fowles added 17 and 18 rebounds to record her 10th straight double-double for LSU (20-3, 6-2), which had its reserves outscored by a 19-2 margin.
Despite trailing 26-21 at halftime, Georgia rallied after the break, connecting on 5-of-10 3-pointers in building a seven-point advantage with 4:14 remaining.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LSU (7) 26 25 51
GEORGIA (14) 21 32 53 FINAL
Feb 1 8:58 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
LSU (7) 26
GEORGIA (14) 21 HALFTIME
Feb 1 7:46 PM
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18