Krezel, defense help Texas El-Paso squeak out winFeb 23, 2008 - 8:08 AM HATTIESBURG, Mississippi (Ticker) -- Kasia Krezel scored 21 as No. 25 Texas-El Paso relied on its defense down the stretch to post a 73-72 overtime victory over Southern Mississippi on Friday in a Conference USA contest.
Jareica Hughes scored 19 points for the Miners (22-0, 13-0 C-USA), including a pair of big 3-pointers during a 9-0 run that tied the game at 65-65 at the end of regulation.
They also held the Golden Eagles (15-11, 6-7) scoreless for the final 3:36 of regulation to post their 18th straight win.
Izabela Piekarska hit the go-head free throw with 1:07 left, and Southern Mississippi's Andrea Barber missed a shot as time expired.
Stephanie Helgeson scored 19 points for the Golden Eagles, who committed 19 turnovers.
- No. 9 Mississippi State women beats Southern Miss 78-65 Dec 16
- No. 24 Chattanooga women beat Southern Miss 53-48 in OT Nov 20
- No. 5 Baylor women beat Southern Miss 97-42 in WNIT Nov 16
- Rutgers edges UTEP for Women's NIT crown Apr 5
- Penn State tops UTEP to advance Mar 18
- Georgia 84, Southern Miss. 55 Nov 28
- Dazzling effort by Wiggins powers Stanford Mar 25
- UTEP cruises into second round with easy victory Mar 23
- SMU upsets No. 24 UTEP in Conference USA final Mar 9
- Lacy, Hughes lead UTEP past Southern Miss Mar 9
- Hughes leads UTEP to 22nd straight win Mar 8
- Krezel, UTEP extend winning streak to 21 games Mar 1