Steelers edge Bills in overtimeNov 29, 2010 - 5:26 AM
"It was amazing the difference a month makes," Suisham said. "Two weeks ago I wasn't playing and now I'm with the Pittsburgh Steelers and fortunately I was able to make a kick to win the football game."
Ben Roethlisberger was 20-of-33 for 246 yards for the Steelers (8-3), who have won three of their last four and remained tied with Baltimore atop the AFC North after the Ravens beat Tampa Bay later Sunday.
Rashard Mendenhall racked up 151 yards and a touchdown on 36 carries and Hines Ward added 107 yards on seven receptions.
"A good road victory for us and by that I mean things didn't go our way, we didn't play as well as we'd like to play...it looked bleak at times, but I think the guys looked composed on the sidelines," said Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin. "This is a tough place to play in a hostile environment, so we feel fortunate to come away with a win."
Ryan Fitzpatrick finished 23-of-45 for 265 yards, one score and an interception for the Bills (2-9), who had won their two previous games after an 0-8 start.
Fred Jackson went for 104 yards and a touchdown on five catches and contributed 59 rushing yards, while Steve Johnson posted 68 yards on seven grabs but dropped a potential game-winning TD pass early in the extra session.
"They said the basics, 'keep your head up'", said Johnson of his team consoling him after the game. "You've got a good team like the Pittsburgh Steelers, and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making big plays, and when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it."
Rian Lindell made three field goals, including the game-tying kick in the final seconds of regulation.
Mendenhall's one-yard run gave Pittsburgh the early advantage, capping a 78- yard drive that melted away almost eight minutes after the opening kickoff.
Suisham nailed a 45-yarder to make it 10-0 early in the second quarter, then booted a 46-yard attempt late in the half and the visitors led by 13.
Buffalo finally got on the board when Jackson spun away from several tacklers on a screen pass and raced 65 yards for a touchdown with 3:45 left in the third quarter.
Lindell was good from 29 yards out and Buffalo got within 13-10 a minute and a half into the fourth, then Mendenhall coughed up the ball on Pittsburgh's first play. Jairus Byrd recovered at the Steelers' 23-yard line, but the Bills offense stalled and Lindell made a 32-yarder to tie the game with 11:25 left.
Suisham added a 48-yard make with 6:19 remaining to give the visitors a 16-13 edge.
The Bills then drove to the Steelers' 12, but on 2nd-and-7, a Fitzpatrick pass was tipped out of Johnson's hands and into Troy Polamalu's at the one with 2:51 to play. The Steelers picked up a first down but eventually were forced to punt, and Buffalo moved from its own 46 to the visitors' 31 with seven seconds remaining.
Lindell was frozen with a timeout just prior to hitting a 49-yard attempt, but connected to tie the game on his second try from that distance.
On Buffalo's second drive of OT, Fitzpatrick laid out a perfect ball to the end zone on 1st-and-10 from the Steelers' 40 but a wide-open Johnson simply dropped it.
"It was a great call. It was something we knew we could beat them on," Johnson said. "It came to the back of the end zone, I had the game in my hands and just dropped it. That's it."
Pittsburgh has won seven of the last eight meetings with Buffalo...Mendenhall continued to add to his career best with his ninth rushing TD...Jackson's score was the longest play from scrimmage by the Bills this season...Fitzpatrick has thrown a touchdown pass in 12 straight games, the longest streak since Doug Flutie did so in 1999...The Bills ended the seasons of linebackers Shawne Merriman and Keith Ellison on Saturday, placing both on injured reserve...The Steelers lost defensive lineman Nick Eason with a sprained MCL, and cornerback Bryant McFadden with a hamstring injury.
- PITTSBURGH: 19
Final - OT
Nov 28 4:44 PM
- Pittsburgh Field Goal - 41-yarder by Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 19, Bills 16 OT - 2:14Nov 28 4:44 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 16
End of Regulation
Nov 28 4:14 PM
- Buffalo Field Goal - 49-yarder by Rian Lindell.
Steelers 16, Bills 16 4th - 0:02Nov 28 4:12 PM
- Pittsburgh Field Goal - 48-yarder by Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 16, Bills 13 4th - 6:19Nov 28 3:42 PM
- Buffalo Field Goal - 32-yarder by Rian Lindell.
Steelers 13, Bills 13 4th - 11:25Nov 28 3:31 PM
- Buffalo Field Goal - 29-yarder by Rian Lindell.
Steelers 13, Bills 10 4th - 13:32Nov 28 3:20 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 13
End of 3rd
Nov 28 3:13 PM
- Rian Lindell extra point is good.
Steelers 13, Bills 7 3rd - 3:45Nov 28 3:00 PM
- Buffalo Touchdown - Ryan Fitzpatrick pass to Fred Jackson for 65 yards.
Steelers 13, Bills 6 3rd - 3:45Nov 28 3:00 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 13
Nov 28 2:25 PM
- Pittsburgh Field Goal - 46-yarder by Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 13, Bills 0 2nd - 0:03Nov 28 2:23 PM
- Pittsburgh Field Goal - 45-yarder by Shaun Suisham.
Steelers 10, Bills 0 2nd - 14:45Nov 28 1:38 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 7
End of 1st
Nov 28 1:35 PM
- Shaun Suisham extra point is good.
Steelers 7, Bills 0 1st - 7:06Nov 28 1:16 PM
- Pittsburgh Touchdown - Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 1 yard.
Steelers 6, Bills 0 1st - 7:06Nov 28 1:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Nov 28 1:02 PM
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Steelers sign tight end David Johnson to 1-year deal May 17
- Bills' Lawson to have shoulder surgery; Watkins' foot hurt May 17
- Buffalo Bills sign 5th-round draft pick, Jonathan Williams May 13
- Buffalo Bills sign 6th-round draft pick, receiver Listenbee May 12
- Buffalo Bills to retire Bruce Smith's No. 78 at home opener May 11
- Burfict, Jones take Bengals-Steelers rivalry to soccer May 10
- Buffalo Bills claim running back Dri Archer off waivers May 10
- Bills take step-at-a-time approach to groom QB Cardale Jones May 7
- Buffalo Bills rookie class displays Rex-like exuberance May 6
- Tackle Mike Adams among 3 cut by Steelers May 5
- Buffalo Bills buy land to expand practice field May 5