Red Wings pound Bruins behind Zetterberg, HudlerFeb 12, 2011 - 4:23 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Henrik Zetterberg and Jiri Hudler both posted a goal and two assists as Detroit pounded Boston, 6-1, at TD Garden.
Tomas Holmstrom and Danny Cleary both added a goal and a helper for the Red Wings, who have won two of three.
Todd Bertuzzi added a pair of scores, while Jimmy Howard stopped 25-of-26 shots for the win, his league-leading 27th.
"It was just a well-played game by everyone and I just tried to stand back there and make saves," Howard said.
David Krejci tallied for the Bruins, who couldn't maintain the momentum from Wednesday's rousing 8-6 win over Montreal. They will get another crack at Detroit at Joe Louis Arena on Sunday afternoon.
"We weren't skating tonight. We were always behind on the puck, and even when we had possession I felt we gave them time to make plays," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien.
Tuukka Rask allowed five goals on 19 shots through two periods for Boston, which lost for the second time in its last six. Tim Thomas finished the game with 14 stops.
Bertuzzi put the Wings on the board at 1:10 with a slapper from the right circle and Cleary doubled the advantage at 3:10 with a redirection of a Hudler pass into the slot.
Krejci potted Boston's first goal with just over two minutes left in the first, a power-play score off a dish from Milan Lucic.
Hudler gave Detroit a 3-1 edge only 69 seconds into the second period, then goals from Zetterberg (on the backhand) and Bertuzzi (off a bad giveaway by Rask) 24 seconds apart late in the second made it 5-1.
Pavel Datsyuk, Hudler and Holmstrom worked a slick passing play on the advantage and the third man in the sequence tallied with 6:09 to play to cap the rout.
"I thought we had a lot more urgency. It was great to see the guys respond like they did tonight," said Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom.
Detroit has won three of the last four meetings with Boston, and seven of 11 since the start of the 1995-96 season...Bertuzzi notched his 700th career point with his second goal of the game...The former first-round pick of the Islanders in 1993 now has recorded 283 goals and 417 assists in 996 NHL games since 1995...Boston's second-overall pick Tyler Seguin was a healthy scratch for the second straight game.
- DETROIT: 6
Feb 11 9:35 PM
- Detroit Goal - Tomas Holmstrom, at 13:51.
Red Wings 6, Bruins 1 3rd - 6:09Feb 11 9:20 PM
- DETROIT: 5
End of 2nd
Feb 11 8:37 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (10), at 16:38.
Red Wings 5, Bruins 1 2nd - 3:22Feb 11 8:31 PM
- Danny Cleary shot blocked by Dennis Seidenberg.
Red Wings 4, Bruins 1 2nd - 3:50Feb 11 8:28 PM
- Detroit Goal - Jiri Hudler (6), from Henrik Zetterberg at 1:09.
Red Wings 3, Bruins 1 2nd - 18:51Feb 11 8:00 PM
- DETROIT: 2
End of 1st
Feb 11 7:42 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - David Krejci (8), at 17:53.
Red Wings 2, Bruins 1 1st - 2:07Feb 11 7:38 PM
- Detroit Goal - Danny Cleary (17), at 3:10.
Red Wings 2, Bruins 0 1st - 16:50Feb 11 7:12 PM
- Detroit Goal - Todd Bertuzzi (9), at 1:10.
Red Wings 1, Bruins 0 1st - 18:50Feb 11 7:09 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 11 7:05 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 25
- Blackhawks, Ducks try to close out series on road Apr 24