Setoguchi scores twice to lead Sharks past Red WingsFeb 23, 2011 - 5:33 AM
Ryane Clowe and Joe Thornton also lit the lamp for San Jose, which has won four in a row and prevented the Red Wings from winning a sixth consecutive game.
Thornton's goal was the 300th of his career, and he added two assists. Antti Niemi made 35 saves in the victory.
Danny Cleary tallied twice for Detroit, while Jimmy Howard let in four goals on 43 shots.
"They played well, we didn't play great at all," Cleary said. "We had some chances offensively, but I think defensively we were too loose."
With the score tied late in the second period, Setoguchi netted his first.
Thornton enabled the tally after leading a San Jose rush into the Red Wings' end and dishing to the left circle for Logan Couture, who blasted a shot that Howard stopped. Thornton picked up the rebound by the left post, then circled behind the net before passing out front for Setoguchi's stuff-in with 1:17 remaining.
That goal gave the Sharks a 3-2 edge, and Setoguchi made it a two-goal edge late in the third.
Thornton was again central to the play, passing from the right boards to the slot for Setoguchi's blazing slap shot with 6:48 on the clock.
"He's skating real well," Thornton said of Setoguchi, who had a hat trick in Saturday's win against Colorado. "He's getting to goal-scorers' spots and he's finishing. So we'd like for him to stay hot like this because it's a real luxury for us."
Henrik Zetterberg netted a power-play goal with 1:51 to go, bringing the Red Wings within one, but Niemi was strong the rest of the way to secure the victory.
The Sharks got on the board with 7.4 seconds left in the first period, when Thornton backhanded in a rebound during a power play.
Cleary scored by the right post at the 7:06 mark of the second, though Clowe's breakaway tally at 14:08 restored San Jose's lead. But only 34 seconds later, Cleary jammed in the puck by the left post to even the contest.
San Jose opened a three-game road trip that includes stops in Pittsburgh (Wednesday) and Calgary (Friday)...The Sharks have won three consecutive regular season games in Detroit. They also swept the season series in Detroit for the first time in team history...Cleary has a career-high 21 goals this season.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Feb 22 10:04 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Henrik Zetterberg (18), at 18:09.
Sharks 4, Red Wings 3 3rd - 1:51Feb 22 9:58 PM
- San Jose Goal - Devin Setoguchi (17), at 13:12.
Sharks 4, Red Wings 2 3rd - 6:48Feb 22 9:47 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Feb 22 9:11 PM
- San Jose Goal - Devin Setoguchi (16), from Joe Thornton and Logan Couture at 18:43.
Sharks 3, Red Wings 2 2nd - 1:17Feb 22 9:10 PM
- Logan Couture wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Sharks 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 1:19Feb 22 9:09 PM
- San Jose Goal - Devin Setoguchi (16), at 18:43.
Sharks 3, Red Wings 2 2nd - 1:17Feb 22 9:09 PM
- Detroit Goal - Danny Cleary (21), at 14:42.
Sharks 2, Red Wings 2 2nd - 5:18Feb 22 9:00 PM
- San Jose Goal - Ryane Clowe (17), at 14:08.
Sharks 2, Red Wings 1 2nd - 5:52Feb 22 8:59 PM
- Detroit Goal - Danny Cleary (20), from Jiri Hudler and Nicklas Lidstrom at 7:06.
Sharks 1, Red Wings 1 2nd - 12:54Feb 22 8:42 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Feb 22 8:15 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Thornton, at 19:52.
Sharks 1, Red Wings 0 1st - 0:08Feb 22 8:15 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 22 7:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19